Wednesday 24 September 2014

Wednesday Words #2



Wednesday wishes to one and all. I hope that you're all trudging though the week like the troopers you are! I've had a rather pleasant week so far and unlike many, am rather enjoying that fresh autumn crisp that's suddenly in the air.

I confess, I still have donkey sayings on the brain- seriously how can you not be when you just see this happy fellow? I was really pleased with the response to starting this little wordy based series, and I'm hoping that the lovely Sunae is going to be joining in with some Aussie idioms soon!

"Talk the hind legs off a donkey..."


An interesting phrase wouldn't you say? I expect some people haven't even heard of it? Thats something I'd be interested to find out actually, if there are phrases etc that you haven't heard of? So, after a little fiddling around with google, I checked a few sites (just to be sure) and the most accurate origins that I could find were that it was originally an expression used to show admiration! Showing powerful signs of persuasion, a suggestion that someone could create the impossible just from talking, is now though still admiringly, more likely to be used when complaining about someone's chatter.

And now we know.
Love Sophie Xx

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love this! Definitely going to try to use it at least once in the coming week! I have to wonder though...who would want a donkey's hind legs?? lol
    ~ Samantha
    samsamcherie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really want to go to the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth - I think it'd be so much fun, donkeys are such quirky creatures! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my little blog. I LOVE comments, so click way!