Wednesday 3 June 2015

Green Fingers.



Am I getting old? I feel like I'm gaining such an appreciation for my garden and growing things that I'm sure I'm going to need tenna-lady soon? It's great though isn't it? Getting muddy under the nails, coming outside each morning and "ooh-ing" over what's sprouted over night *note to self, start naming your plants*...I literally have no idea what's growing in my garden. All packets of seeds were bought based on the pretty picture on the front, all of which got stuck into compost like a five year old growing cress...yet I've discovered something- That's literally what gardening is! The whole stick a seed in some mud, put it in the sun and water it (barely though- thanks Cornish weather!) ACTUALLY WORKS. That's all there is to it...(could I offend any more actual gardeners with this post?)

Batman is happy that there's some green stuff to eat, the forget me nots that Leona gave me a while back are taking over all other plants- those bad boys want to rule to roost (see what I mean, I genuinely think my plants have attitude??) My freckles have enjoyed making appearances and my hair just looks too snazzy in the wind not to take selfies. I'm not sure Harps is that keen every time I come home with new plant pots or more half-dead looking weeds from the bargain section in Lidl. I'm becoming proud of my garden- minus the day where my next door neighbour 'casually' left some 'Gardeners World' magazines on our joining fence. 

Any planting or growing tips? My main problems seem to have been..

1) Small children from next door pulling out my baby fir-tree which now sits rather miserably hanging to one side...
2) FUCKING CATS POOING IN MY GARDEN! 
3) The snails/slugs/ whatever arseholes that destroyed my sunflowers...How do I make them pay?

Oh and just to add to the garden excitement, last weekend we invested in an outdoor pen for Batman. Seeing as he won't let us put a harness on him, we still want him to enjoy the summer with us and we grabbed the perfect bargain when we saw it. Stay tuned for Batman's first adventure outdoors very soon!

Love Sophie Xx

4 comments:

  1. Cats pooing in your garden is an absolute nightmare!
    So glad we live out in the sticks now were there is only 1 cat on the nearby farm so it's not even remotely bothered about claiming our garden as part of it's territory!
    Gardening though - it's fun isn't it?!
    We aren't growing much at the moment but we intend to start putting a few things in to plant pots soon. I have a Buddleja bush in a pot at the moment, R's mum gave me a clipping from her tree last year. I don't want to transplant it anywhere yet though because I haven't decided where to put it!
    If you're really getting into gardening then I highly recommend visiting Lyndsey's blog and shop http://www.whatyousow.co.uk/. I took part in her Pinterest Garden Party last year and was a runner up. My prize was the Blackboard Plant Labels (which are currently sold out!) but I gave them to my Mum as part of her birthday gifts and she absolutely loves them! She uses them for all her greenhouse plants, which she often changes.
    Lyndsey is so lovely too and gives lots of wonderful tips on gardening if it's something you're really getting in to!
    Can't wait to see Batman enjoying the summer sun!
    Hope all is good with you,
    xo Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my green fingers when I got my house, all those years of 'helping" on my parents allotment finally seem to be paying off lol. I totally suck at keeping house plants alive but they don't fare too badly in the garden of mine.

    They say crushed up egg shells are helpful for keeping off the old slugs and snails if you put them around the base of the effected plants. There's something about beer too, but I'm not not entirely sure what or why. As for small children, generally glaring at them in all instances can stop them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh cats pooing in my garden is one of my pet peeves. Even worse they poo in my lovely planters! and also, I don't have cats so basically other people's cats are pooing in my planters. It's a pretty dire situation.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry, we all get old and suddenly what to do snazzy things like gardening. It's basically becoming cool :)
    I don't have a garden or a little terrace, so there's no green fingers going on in our home. Plus my green fingers are the green fingers of death... although, I do fancy getting something to brighten up the window sill.

    Good luck with all the green and keeping those slugs at bay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my little blog. I LOVE comments, so click way!