Wednesday 17 September 2014

Wednesday Words #1


Good Morning everyone, I've been thinking a lot about my Wednesday posts over the last couple of weeks and though I've enjoyed sharing news stories and other things that have made me chuckle, I've started to find it almost as a bit of a chore? Which should of course, never be the case when blogging. For example, Duck In a Dress does a brilliant news themed post (which you should totally check out!) whereas with mine, I find it not only takes up a lot of time but also never ends up how I want it. Anyway, long story short, I've decided to take a little break from it, #25 seemed a good number to stop.  

Instead, I've been having plenty of conversations at work recently revolving around the origins of phrases or idioms and I thought it might be quite fun to learn about some of them! This was the first one that actually started the whole thing, and I found it pretty interesting! Let me know what you think of my change, I'd love some sort of feedback! 


"It's going to take donkey's years..."


How cute is this guy! Photo from Pinterest
Click image for source.




Why do people say 'donkey's years'? Well that's exactly what I wondered a few weeks ago and after a quick hunt around the internet (a variety of sources just to make sure) it would seem that it comes from the origin of 'donkey's ears' obviously meaning in length- relating to length of time. It's suggested that rhyming slang is the origin for the above reason, but also because people used to believe that the longer the donkeys ears, the longer they'd live! Once again relating to time! 

So there we go, we all learnt something this morning and it's not even midday!


Love Sophie Xx



5 comments:

  1. I'm liking this Wednesday words post idea, although the donkey thing is a little weird... Who knew the length of ears could symbolise something as important as life?
    Love your blog xx

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learnt it after midday but I still BLOODY LOVE IT! It'll be my go to fact until you provide me with something better.
    I loved Weird and Wonderful Wednesdays but maybe I love words a bit more.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this incredibly interesting - and when you look at these kinds of sayings across different cultures, it's even more interesting! When you translate them directly, people from other countries will think you are absolutely crazy. And vice versa. In the US, if you order a "Papa's Beard" I guarantee no one will know what you're talking about. If you order a "Barbe de Papa" (same thing) in France? You get Cotton Candy!
    ~ Samantha
    samsamcherie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Wednesday Words post and that donkey photo has put a proper smile on my face, it's awesome! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh good idea! And I never knew that about donkey's ears, in fact there's a heap of phrases that I have no idea where they come from! Looking forward to next week's instalment (and ta lovely lady for the shout out!) :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my little blog. I LOVE comments, so click way!